Thursday, October 28, 2010

possibly perfect pumpkin custard

Last year around this time I made my first pumkpin custard. It turned out ok. It was resembled nothing that I had in mind and I vowed to get it right next year. Next year is now upon me and the CSA I belong to has been supplying me with (awesome) sugar pumpkins and free range eggs. I googled pumpkin custard and was bummed out because there were about a gagillion recipes but I could tell that none of them were for me.

You see I've got a particular flavor and texture in mind.

So I started from scratch which is to say I started out where I left off last year - making a custard that had pumpkin in it. Can you see what's going on here? I end up with a custard that's pulpy and lacks the smooth yummy goodness I'm in search of.

After making another unsatisfactory custard I meditated on this highly flawed dish and what came through was "emulsify." I have an emulsifying blender at the house but not the apartment. I've also got a coworker who is vegan and so she's had to overcome all kinds of food challenges. She makes a pumpkin pie with silken tofu. (And I might go there someday but it won't be anytime soon.) I told her about my dessert disastifcation and one thing led to another and she suggested that I put the cooked pumpkin through a metal strainer (or food mill). I said I'd give it a shot.

I rushed home (because I'm obsessive like that) and got into the thick of things.

The strainer did the trick. The pumpkin was the consistency of baby food and that's what I needed to get it all happy with the eggs and the milk and sugar.

If you're looking for a pumpkin custard (& one that won't remain uneaten for long) give this a shot.

Preheat over 350 F

1 c baked organic pumpkin (pushed through a strainer)
1.5 c milk (heat to almost boiling)
1/4 c organic granulated sugar
3 eggs (free range)
1 tsp ground cinnamon*
a pinch of ground cloves*
a pinch of salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

in a large bowl mix the sugar, spices, salt, vanilla, and eggs.
slowly add the heated milk, stirring constantly (unless you like sugary spiced scrambled eggs)

pour mixture into ramekins. Place ramekins into large baking dish. Pour boiling water into baking dish until water comes halfway up the sides of ramekins. Place the baking dish at center of the oven.

Bake 25 -- 30 minutes.

* Smokers and those who drink coffee will probably want to up the spices as taste buds might have become dull due to aforementioned smoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment