Thursday, May 27, 2010

I may yet get my fill of edgy.

Tonight I'm off to the New York Philharmonic to see Le Grand Macabre.

From the NY Times online:

"The work is set in a land inspired by the grotesqueries of Brueghel paintings and peopled by a drunk, a dominatrix, entwined lovers who emerge from a crypt, and a boy prince attended by two ministers, one dressed in white, one in black. The generally dissonant music encompasses a Brueghelian landscape of sounds, including lusty, growling and otherworldly singing, skittering woodwinds, surging brasses, crashing percussion and a prelude played by a battery of car horns."

When I was asked by a friend, who is a NYP subscriber, to pick an upcoming concert -- I flipped through the calendar and this was the ONLY show that appealed to me. What does this say about me? A lot.

I guess I'm still edgy, pretentious, and risky. Here's hoping the artistic director and the conductor are on-board with me or else I'm going to be bummed out. Nothing is as big a let down as say bad dessert or bad sex, but bad culture ends up feeling hollow and at this stage of my life I'm not in the mood to deal with anymore hollow experiences.

For a full pre-view check out the following link.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/24/arts/music/24gilbert.html

No comments:

Post a Comment