Saturday, January 23, 2010

My letter to Rena Bryant

Dear Rena Bryant,


As a longtime resident of Manhattan I was quite surprised when I learned that the keeping of bees in New York City is illegal. While I fully understand that beekeeping might pose some risks, all the beekeepers I have ever known were quite responsible people who took very good care of their bees and never positioned their hives in such a way so as to inconvenience neighbors.


As a former member of the Liz Christie Garden and an urban gardener, I would like to draw your attention to the most amazing feature of the domesticated and native honey bee: those guys are really hard workers and without the honeybee doing her job many of the foods we eat would not be available to us. It is not hyperbole when I tell you that without the ceaseless effort of the honeybee you would not enjoy: peaches, cherries, apples, and pears.


The Liz Christie Garden features a cherry tree. I think of this tree as the crown jewel of the Liz Christie Garden. How astonished was I when I was offered delicious cherries grown on what had once been a vacant lot in the middle of Manhattan? Very. How life affirming is it to walk along Houston Street and come across the trees in full bloom? Amidst all that concrete, tar, steel, and glass are the many flowers and fruits trees that serve as a wonderful reminder that the natural world is thriving.


I hope that the New York City Council will take into serious consideration revising and/or amending Health Code Article 161.01, so that beekeeping can be done openly, in accord with Mother Nature and man-made law.


Honey bees are champion among the pollinators and it would be great to see the balance restored in this great city so that current and future generations of New York City residents can continue to enjoy beautiful flowers, the few cultivated fruits, and of course, that wonderful golden nectar – honey!


I thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment