Thursday, October 13, 2011

And so it goes

I am having an interesting week. One in which I search for a literary agent.

I work in publishing. That and $2.25 will get you a ride on the subway. Except it actually does have little perks. I was totally perplexed about creating this new relationship between me and the agent. (I love that this year has been filled with new things, eg: running 5k races, finding an agent.) And so I knocked on the door of a trade publisher and asked if she had 5 minutes. She said yes. For the next ten minutes I asked her questions about agents and she gave me really great answers. Oddly the one sentence that sticks out in my mind is: write from where the passion is. (Which has nothing to do with finding an agent.)

And as we talked I realized a couple of things. I'm going to use my guts. I'm going to follow my instincts. And above and beyond that -- I'm going to let the agent who is right for me, appear in my life.

And today, I received a rejection letter from an agent. Which is totally awesome! (Note: I might be one of the few people who likes being rejected.) The reason why I like being rejected: I don't want to work with you if you don't want to work with me. For real.

I learned this when I farmed. I did not want to do business with people (or retail outlets) who weren't in love with my vegetables.

My real customers loved me and I loved them.

I also don't mind that I was rejected by one agent because there is an ocean of agents and editors out there. And I have my book with another agent. And if s/he rejects me, it'll be onto another one.

Folks. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment