Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Agawam Diner. "Their pie will make you cry."

Each year my roommate wants to do something fun for her birthday. This usually involves a road-trip of some sort and as I’m always down for that sort of thing I’m happy to drive her to any far-flung corner of the Northeast.


Two years ago we headed here.

This year C wants to head here.

In much the same way that a marathoner trains for an upcoming race, we had to prep for the long-ass trip to Georgetown with a smaller, seafood oriented drive. We headed here.
I want to make one thing perfectly clear. I heard this place had good pies and that’s all I went for. I didn’t want to seem like too much of a freak so I ordered dinner to mask my craving for pie.

The fried clams were the best I’ve ever eaten. (The waitress assured us they buy theirs from the same folks who supply the Clam Box.)

But let’s talk pie. I’ve got my own personal bias around cakes. I don’t want to see or hear about anyone else’s cake. Ever. Seriously. I’m really picky and I’ve set a certain standard and that’s that. When it comes to pie I’m as openminded as the Dalai Lama. And let me tell you, the pies at the Agawam Diner just plain f*cking rock. We had the coconut, strawberry-rhubarb, apple, and blueberry and we grabbed a couple of raspberry turnovers to go. The pies I didn’t sample: lemon, chocolate, and chocolate mousse. (Those three flavors are not my thing.) I hear tell that folks eat pie for breakfast at the Agawam Diner and I can see why. After a slice of their blueberry pie I was ready to meet my maker with a smile on my face.

The waitress had a way of bringing everyone into the conversation, the chefs, her mother, and lard. The waitress surmised there was lard in the crust which made it flaky. I thought, so much for being a vegetarian. (More on why I'm abandoning that at a later date.)

But let’s talk dinner for two secs. I went with the clam chowder and C went with the fish chowder. Was the chowder worth writing home about? Nope. But it wasn’t bad either.

The fried clams however. Battered whole, fried, served up with lemon and tartar (tahtah) sauce. Dee-lish. Polish those bad boys off with a side of mac ‘n’ cheese and you’re all set.

But don’t take my word for it. The next time you’re in Rowley at the intersection of Rt. 1 and 133 stop in for nothing but the pie. You will not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment