Saturday, February 12, 2011

Surrender or Embrace.

While I was visiting M in D.C. last weekend our conversations traveled a great distance and covered many topics. I did my best to be the best friend I could be and naturally I asked him if he meditated. His answer, quote, I studied meditation, end quote.

Folks, let's look at this response a little more closely.

First of all he didn't answer my question. The answer to my question was either "Yes, I meditate," or "No, I don't meditate."

In essence M answered, "No, I don't meditate." But just so I'm clear, studying meditation is perfectly all right but in order to benefit from one's studies, one must practice. I'm not kidding. As someone who comes from the Great Intellect I can tell you that unless a person sits down and begins to figure out how to clear or quiet the mind, everything is just chatter and not much progress will ever be made. Mental activity lends itself to a great many grand schemes, to manipulation, and calculation but thinking in the absence of taking action (choosing to do something differently and then actually doing something differently) with have the net result of: nothing (or put another way: will just result in more mental activity).

Even though I wasn't sure that M was ready to hear my next thoughts, I said, "Many years ago I was stuck in my head but I knew I wanted to enter my body and live a heart centered life. I used to invite myself into my body and in my head I visualized myself walkng down a steep set of stairs that lead from my head into my body." Back in 2007 this exercise was one of my daily practices. Whenever I had a free minute and remembered to invite myself to take this little walk, I pictured myself walking down those steps and entering my heart.

M seemed to like this idea but I could tell that my suggestion was probably going to spend a while in his mental process. The dude is seriously caught up in mental activity.

M's sadness reminded me of the way I felt a few years back. There's something so lonely about residing in the Great Intellect. And lately, although I'm not entirely sure how I mangaed to accomplish, I've been feeling great. It has something to do with love. Being in it and not allowing my mental process to overwhelm that experience.

I suggested to M that he might want to surrender but he didn't like that idea at all and told me so. I can almost see his point of view, but surrender when it becomes Surrender is about letting go and having the strongest faith possible and truly believing that everything will be ok. I like that I've surrendered in both the relative and Divine sense. I know that no harm can come from loving someone else and by letting a greater universal love fill me I'm protected from depression. This new love is the best feeling I've ever experienced and there is no loneliness in it.

As I write this I'm beginning to think that perhaps Surrender isn't the best possible word choice. So let's try this: Embrace. Embrace your highest good, your deepest faith, and believe that in so doing you will be loved and cared for.

No comments:

Post a Comment