Thursday, September 30, 2010

Is it possible to be a dork about death?

It’s odd to think that I’d like to surround myself with the dying and those who want to aid in making the dying process better, but that’s exactly where I find myself.

Tomorrow I’ll be attending Frank Ostateski’s pre-conference institute at Menla Mountain Retreat.
I’ve got the pre-conference butterflies. This means that I’m looking forward to… what? For one thing I won’t be at my desk in Manhattan and that’s reason enough to be happy. I’ve set my expectations for Death & Dying IV very low (as I always do). I’ll enter tomorrow’s day-long experience with nothing on my mind other than keeping an open mind. I’ll be prepared to have my brains turned into a paradigm-shifted soup. Oddly enough I think I’ll be grounded throughout all of this even though my mind will be in a whirlwind of wonderful activity.

The presenters at Death & Dying could be called heavy hitters. Robert Thurman? Marianne Williamson?

Yes, I’ve read some of their books, been to their talks/discussions and I hate to say it but Death & Dying IV isn’t about them -- it’s about me.

It’s taken a long time for me to finally understand that I’m here to help other people. (I’m following up this conference with a workshop where I’ll become certified Level 1 in healing touch.) For me the big question is: who am I as a practitioner? The other questions: what can I do to become the best? How can I serve the most people? How can I effectuate change on a massive scale?

Over the coming months and years I will get answers to these questions

No comments:

Post a Comment